Tuesday 8 May 2012

Not your average commute to work


Today. Has. Been. Awesome. I left my house this morning at 6:30am, bummed that I would have to sit at the airport for 3 hours waiting for the UN flight to Voinjama. Then, around 9:30, they started handing out earplugs to the passengers waiting in the holding area. I was told that sometimes the flight between Monrovia and Voinjama is a Dash-7 plane and sometimes it’s a helicopter. Since we were leaving from the international airport, my colleague (our Liberian Field Coordinator) and I were resigned to taking the plane. But when I got the earplugs I knew…it was chopper time!



When I was working in Uganda in 2010 I was overseeing Mi-8 flight hours for the Ugandan military flying from a base in South Sudan to the Central African Republic and the Democratic Republic of Congo as part of their mission against the LRA rebels. I was also overseeing C-130 cargo flights from Kampala to Mogadishu for the African Union Mission in Somalia. I got to spend some time in the presence of these cool aircraft but I never got to actually fly in them and I have always wanted to. So when the chopper came in sight of the minibus that was taking me and the 15 other passengers to the flight, I got super excited. I wanted to bounce up and down on my seat and squeal and clap my hands like a little schoolgirl, but I refrained. Since all of the other passengers were male, mostly African, Yemeni, Jordanian and Pakistani, and most were in UN military or police uniforms, I figured they wouldn’t appreciate my naïve excitement. Also, they all seemed to be a bit bummed because the plane is faster and more comfortable than the chopper.

My excitement only grew as I walked up the three little steps into the cabin. There were two benches running down each side of the chopper and our luggage and cargo was strapped down the middle. We all boarded and took a seat on one of the benches. One of the crew asked the guy next to me to move down further, but there was a bag hanging from a hook in the wall that was blocking the seat. “Sir, you can take down that parachute and put it on the floor at the end of the bench next to you” said the crewman with his Ukrainian accent. “So this one’s for me I guess” the man said with a cheeky grin to those of us sitting next to him. There was another parachute hanging across the aisle and I made a mental note that that one was gonna be mine, lol.

Inside the cabin


The Ukrainian crewman gave us a safety briefing. “Thank you for flying with us today. Please buckle your seatbelt. There are three exits…here, here and one in the back compartment behind that green curtain. The windows open like this” (open) “ and close like this” (close) “Please wait until we park in Voinjama to stand up. Using your earplugs will make you more comfortable”. Do I totally have a crush on the blond haired, blue eyed, tanned and muscley Ukrainian crewman in his combat fatigues with his chopper headphones on? Ohhh da! (actually, yes in Ukrainian is apparently tak, but that joke is much better in Russian J). Eventually they started the engines and the seat started vibrating and the rotors starting whirring causing a mini strobe-light shadow effect in the cabin. We briefly lifted off the ground and hovered for a few seconds and then set back down and started driving down the runway. Next thing I knew, we were in the air. We flew the 1 hour journey at about 2,000 ft. It definitely was not a comfortable ride. My back was up against the wall and half of a window, so I mostly leaned forward and rested my elbows on my knees and my teeth chattered from the vibration the whole time. Some of the guys managed to sleep which I thought was impressive despite the guy next to me occasionally nodding over into me.

View out the window I was leaning against
Watching the lush jungle passing below out the window, the parachute hanging from the wall and all the cargo strapped down with cargo nets…I definitely felt like I was in a movie…maybe some Nam film and this was my platoon and we were heading for the drop point. I had a few seconds of envisioning myself going through basic training. Then we started landing and I snapped out of lala land. I am definitely Tropic Thunder not Semper Fi. 

Days like this remind me why I love my job. Who needs rush hour traffic and a tiny cubicle with florescent lighting when you can be in a helicopter flying out into the African bush?

The Voinjama airfield

1 comment: